Thursday 7 May 2015

Handcrafted Paper Medallion



I don't know about you but when you see embellishments on sale whether in a craft catalogue or in the crafting section of a all round store, do you ever think to yourself "I am sure I can make those myself"?  I know I did when I saw something similar to the above example.  I know SU have for sale in their 2014-2015 catalogue  a Sizzix die that creates an embellishment like the above for quite a handsome price!  

I also have seen many different pre-made embellishments similar to the above as part of a coordinating papercrafting line or theme.  Whenever I saw them a good while ago, I thought they were fabby but not sure if it was something I "really needed".  Yes, we have all considered this aspect whenever something new comes on the market for crafting.  How many of you can actually admit you did go out and buy something you "really needed and bought it" only to find you haven't actually put it to good use perhaps an embarrassingly 6 months to 1 year later?  I know I have!

I should return back to the origin of this post......

Any score board tool - I used my Stampin Up "Simply Scored" and scoring stylus, paper trimmer and coloured cardstock other supplier and patterned designer series from Stampin Up Sale-A-Bration supplement.  You can choose on the depths of the mountain/valley folds you want for a project.  The one pictured above was 12 inches long, 1 inch in depth and scored every quarter of an inch for each fold.  The larger one however, required 2 x 12 inch lengths of chosen cardstock/paper and scored sequentially to allow for deeper folds, the 2 pieces of 12 inch length cardstock were then glued together to make a strip slightly shorter than 24 inches in length.  Once the folds had been created with the simply scored tools and stylus, the strips need to be folded in concertina style and then start and end of the strips need to be glued securely together.  It is rather fiddly to do the next step but well worth it! Cut x 2 die-cut circles of your choice - 1 now needs to be glued and secured to the back of the rosette in the centre, one hand will need to keep the inner folds of the rosette meeting together to form the rosette.  Glue and adhere one of the die-cut circles to the underside of the rosette until firmly held together and leave to dry or place on a radiator until dry.  Repeat same for the circle which needs to be on the top of the rosette.  And your masterpiece should look something similar to one of these displayed below:

No comments: